Monday, October 4, 2010

Atheist agreeing to disagree.

Cory,

Well, you're right.  I think we've hit a point where we're just arguing in circles, so I don't think we need to debate this much longer until we come up with something new to bring to the table. For the record, I was certainly surprised when you seemingly aligned me with the Jedi, considering it's a fairly faith-based position in the Star Wars universe. :)

As my last bit on this subject: I understand what you're saying about the amount of literature being at least a basis for our understanding of god if he does indeed exist.  If anything, it would at least be a starting point to finding the truth. My argument is that the sheer number of religious text really isn't any reason to believe something is more or less true than something else that has very little written about it (or nothing at all written about it). But I think you understand that.

I have a few ideas for new topics which I will probably be addressing over the next few days.  It seems like you do too, considering you brought up a few ideas in your last post.

If man were to travel to another solar system how would it be possible?  Well, I'm certainly no astrophysicist, but I love the idea of space travel.  It seems to me that our current problem with long term space travel is radiation.  Humans didn't evolve to survive in space, and we can only shield so much before it becomes toxic to us.  My guess is we'd have to solve that problem if we wanted to leave our solar system, but I think a large enough ship with enough lead coating would do the trick.  I've heard about ship designs that use huge solar sails, which gather light waves from the nearest star, and project them back out as propulsion.  Supposedly, those ships can theoretically go half the speed of light.  Scientists just announced the discovery of a planet which could be capable of supporting life as we know it just 20 light years away. That would be a trip doable within someone's lifetime.  At those speeds, I think an astronaut would only age about 10 years.

My personal opinion on the matter of space colonization is that we need to focus on our solar system much sooner than focusing on sending someone to another solar system.  There is significant evidence that life may be possible on some of the moons of Jupiter, and we certainly have a lot more to learn about mars and the moon.  I'm honestly surprised we don't have a permanent colony on the moon yet.  I would love to see humans have colonies elsewhere, if nothing more than to help prevent our species from being destroyed in some tragedy.

As for space exploration, as much as it's more exciting to send a person into space, robots are much better suited, and I think we are at a stage where sending them is a more viable option.

I understand that the economics of it all may mean that our priorities focus on other efforts in other areas, but I think that putting money into new technology is always an investment in the future.  Space travel is no exception. I'm glad to see that there are finally private companies taking over the role that NASA has been playing for decades.  I'm hopeful that once we can make space an affordable, yet profitable venture, we will make a new technological leap in our culture.  I'm looking forward to the ability to go from New York to Sydney in an hour.

I hope that answered your questions. What are your thoughts on the subject?

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment