Sunday, October 3, 2010

A New Hope (kind of . . .)

I'm not sure I like that I accidentally aligned my posts with the Empire in the star wars titles, which by default aligned yours with the Jedi. oh well I'll chalk that up to coincidence.

I'm still not making myself clear, I think, about the world religion's concensus on God. I'm not trying to use the Bible for evidence that God exists because we have talked about why you won't accept that I can understand your perspective. I'm just saying that there has been more liturature written about a God or gods as omniscient beings than there has been about tea pots or pasta monsters, and as such it at least makes a better case that if a god exists, he's probably an omniscient being rather than a tea pot. This isn't proof of his existence, only an indicator of what he likely would be should we discover that he exists.

Beyond that I think we are hitting the point of going in circles. I insist that there is a why to the universe; you insist that the universe just is with no underlying purpose. This is really the meat of our disagreement and I don't suspect we will get past it. If you concede the universe has some greater meaning, you are conceding that God exists, or at least a god exists. Likewise, if I concede the universe just is, I am conceding that there is no purpose and therefore no God. So here we are stuck.Oh well, we were bound to get here eventually.

We're going to need a different approach if this blog is to keep moving. Since I can't aks you why about anything, I'll need to be careful about how I frame my questions. If man were ever to travel to another solar system, how do you suppose it would be possible? What methods are on the horizon to make a trip like that possible? Is it even a good idea to attempt such a thing? Do you think we should put more focus to issues at home than towards space exploration? This isn't a loaded question; I am genuinely curious about your thoughts. It will get us off the topic at hand for a moment a perhaps give us time to regroup and try something else.

Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment