Friday, November 26, 2010

Re: It's Gettin' Silly Up In Here

Dan,

You're right, things really are getting silly at this point.  We've hit a point where we are stuck in an endless loop.
I'll argue that you're using circular reasoning.  You'll argue that you're not.
I'll argue that I don't accept testimony as accurate evidence.  You'll argue that it is.
I'll ask for more evidence.  You'll give me something from the bible, and we'll play a game of "who knows the bible better than who."  Then I'll argue that using the bible as proof of itself is using circular reasoning.  Then we're back to square one.

I can (and did the research) to argue against the extra Biblical writings and why they aren't evidence for the New Testament claims.  But that will get us back into the, "Who knows the bible better than who" game.  And I think you misunderstand what I would consider as evidence to back up the claims of the gospels.

I feel as though I've explained that human testimony can be invalid, and have shown proof.  As I said before, I will hold steadfast in this regard.  I understand that in history, sometimes this is the only way we know what has happened.  But I also argue that in the history we know, especially that which we know solely from human testimony, it is subject to be invalid. This doesn't mean that it's ALL wrong.  In most cases, I would bet that what we know is fairly accurate.  But in terms of arguing for the existence of the supernatural, which is what we are doing, we can NOT settle for anything less than 100% accuracy.  Human fallibility is an unfortunate trait that will never allow for human testimony, however earnest, to be capable of being considered as 100% accurate evidence.

I feel as though I've given enough evidence to make a case for why I BELIEVE the gospels have been embellished/changed/corrupted.  I could go into it, but I don't feel like getting into another game of, "who knows the bible more than who".

I am at a loss for words about your arguments for the Gospels as not being biased stories for Jesus.

At this point, I'm willing to declare that I agree to disagree.  We aren't making any more headway on this subject, and our energy can be saved for new debate. I really don't want to go another round of rehashing the same arguments.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes!  I expect nothing less during our future debates!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment